Regarding Vitor website "Simpleisbetterthancomplex"

(Shekhar Nunia) #1

Hello Vitor,
I have few questions regarding your website, first is that I see you have this application Repo and docs on github and readthedocs, but still I’m not able to understand how this work,

My second question is that how “https://community.simpleisbetterthancomplex.com/”, “https://Colossus.simpleisbetterthancomplex.com/” this kind of link made which. And are they separate from your main website, if yes what kind of this can be done in this.

If you want you can explain it here or you can make a nice tutorial about it if you want to share this knowledge.

Thanks

(Devil) #2

Regarding the second question, these are called subdomains. They can easily be made from your domain panel and they are completely different site and can be hosted together or in different servers. Google also treat both sites as two different site.

And ofcourse you can make as many subdomains you like.

(Shekhar Nunia) #3

Thanks you very much for this information,
how can we do this in local development?

(Devil) #4

For local development you don’t need domain.

Domain is needed when you are deploying your site, you are making it live for the public.

(Vitor Freitas) #5

In some specific cases you may need to simulate subdomains in the local machine. For example a Django app that provide custom subdomains for the users like: user1.example.com, user2.example.com, etc

In those cases in production you will have a wildcard subdomain *.example.com and handle it at application level. For example extract the subdomain in a middleware and add the correct user/site to the request.

To test this kind of setup locally you can edit your /etc/hosts file:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost

127.0.0.1       user1.example.local
127.0.0.1       user2.example.local

Then when you are running your Django project locally, instead of opening 127.0.0.1:8000 you would run user1.example.local:8000

(Vitor Freitas) #6

Colossus is an email marketing solution (like MailChimp)

I’m currently working on its documentation and at some point I will write a tutorial about running/using this app

But right now the best option I have for you is to follow the quickstart and try to run it locally.

(Shekhar Nunia) #7

I have setup it locally but I’m not able to figure out how it’s working.