Your take on Wagtail

Only recently I’ve come across Wagtail. On the one hand it looks like a great tool, my feeling is that websites like realpython are built on it. However, I wonder whether it is a wise addition or not. It feels like adding a framework on top of a framework. You start loosing control on what is going on. If I were developing solutions for customers, it may be a good way of speeding up the process, but in my case, which I develop websites for myself, I wonder if it is a wise approach.

I prefer things like the Pinax project, from which you can learn a lot, but couldn’t find a lot of examples of websites built on Wagtail (the source code is mostly non-public).

What is your opinion about building on top of Wagtail?

1 Like

I just experimented with it a bit, and it looks really cool. I would also like to hear from people implementing it in real cases or any other comments on the topic.

Just joined the forum, so I’m late in responding, my apologies. I dived into Django CMS, which is also a CMS built with Django and Python, much like Wagtail. A CMS offers very easy tools for adding static content to your site, like pictures and text, in beautiful formatting (cards, carrousels etc.). But it’s crucial to add functionality like authentication, access to database, forms, for sites that are not purely static. Django CMS offers ways to do this (via so-called apphooks and plugins) while keeping the easy editing tools. So then it’s somewhat best of both worlds. But if you don’t need the frequent content editing then you’re better of without the CMS-tools, I guess.

Hope this helps, good luck!